Wednesday, April 29, 2009

100% Pure



Lately in the attempt to be less of a planet-murderer, I've begun the painful process of reducing my large collection of bath and beauty products and trying to replace some of them with more natural alternatives. During the spending hiatus, I realized that if I cut back on the number of products I use, I could afford better, more natural alternatives. The switch to natural has been challenging though, since companies have gotten into the act of marketing almost completely unnatural products as natural, and then charging twice as much for them. One $15 shampoo which I'll decline to name contained almost all the same synthetic ingredients as my current drugstore shampoo with a bit of tea tree oil thrown in at the bottom, and it was marketed as "containing natural ingredients". Riiight.

The good news is that if you look, there are product lines out there which do utilize (mostly) natural ingredients in their products, and don't attempt any label-trickery. One that's come on my radar just recently is 100% Pure. They are 100% natural and 100% vegetarian, and they have some pretty awesome-looking products. They aren't super-cheap, but they won't require you to take out a loan against your house, either. I haven't tried any yet, but I am definitely considering ordering some for when my decidedly non-natural current products run out.
A few that are tempting me (pictured above, from top):
  • Organic Coffee Bean Caffeine Eye Cream ($19) contains natural caffeine for those of us whose plan to get back to nature doesn't include looking like raccoons in the morning.
  • Organic Pomengranate Antioxidant Hydration SPF20 ($26) is one of their more expensive products but think of it this way: it's a moisturizer, antioxidant, and sunblock all in one.
  • Cherry Honey Facial Scrub ($18). Unlike many "natural" scrubs, this one does not contain ground-up seeds or pits which have sharp edges that can scratch and irritate delicate facial skin. Instead, it uses jojoba beads to get the job done.
Have any of you made the switch to more eco-friendly products lately? If so, what brands have you tried?

Images via 100% Pure's website (see links)

2 comments:

  1. "less of a planet-murderer" This made me laugh :)

    I am also trying to do the same, but it's hard! I've been using Burt's Bees, but they're still not perfect! And it's definitely hard to find natural products. Hopefully, we'll see an increase in their production in the coming year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i dont know if there's one where you live, but Lush is a store carrying all natural products. i bought a bath soap for about 8 dolllars, but it goes pretty fast. they do have some pretty good products, however!

    ReplyDelete