Friday, April 3, 2009

Can we discuss body image for a sec?


True story: yesterday I was in Target checking out the super cute bathing suits (okay, and I was supposed to be buying toothpaste, but shhh) and over heard the lady next to me talking to her daughter, who looked to be maybe 8 years old or so. And I thought "cute, a mother-daughter shopping excursion". It was so adorable when the girl very seriously informed her mom that she should get the "one with the spots" (a navy blue polka-dotted bikini, girl had good taste). At which the mother replied...

"...Mommy is too digusting and fat for that suit."

Um, what?

I generally try to focus on things that make me happy for One Happy Panda, but every now and then I feel the need to share something that just bothers me. The fact that some women feel so bad about their bodies that they'll call themselves "disgusting" in front of their daughters makes me so sad. Because you know, young girls pick up on their body image from the women they look up to, like their moms. And some day when that girl hits puberty and becomes a perfectly curvy size 8 like her mother, how is she going to feel? Disgusting and fat?

I'm not innocent of putting myself down in front of others. I used to do it all the time. But eventually I realized that body image is contagious. When you put your body down, other women (and men?) feel the need to do the same for their bodies. Happily, it seems to work in the reverse too. When you're happy with your body and take care of it, other people do the same.

So in the name of universal body happiness, can we all agree to give our bodies a little bit of the love they deserve?

PS: Speaking of polka dotted bathing suits, I think the one above (from VS) is totally adorable. And on sale. Tempting.

9 comments:

  1. Aw, that is sad. I had that problem with my mom and grandma growing up, I love them both to death, but they were constantly dieting and having body issues. I, in turn, had horribly self image until I was 19. I also had NO idea how to eat properly. I honestly thought that KD was healthy. I have definitely learned from my experience and plan on teaching my kids how to eat healthy and love their bodies!!

    PS: I don't know if you got my email about guest blogging or not? But, if you're still interested just email me a post this weekend sometime amber_yake_09 (at) hotmail (dot) com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm afraid I would have had to intervene in that instance and say to the woman a) "You're not fat OR disgusting." and to the little girl b) "She's a beautiful woman, your mom and you will probably grow up to be just as lovely."

    I can't keep my nose out in such a situation, I'm afraid.

    kat

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is really sad. It's definitely tough to ignore that sort of thing when it's coming from a parent.

    Also, I've eyed that swimsuit many times but I'm a bit wary of the shiny quality of the dots. Have you seen it in person?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amber- I'm in the same boat as you, with the learned body issues. It took me awhile to realize that dieting is not a constant thing, and I still struggle with some body image problems. But I'm lots better now :)

    Kat- I would have loved to intervene, but I didn't think of it at the time. I'm unfortunately not very bold, or I might have done so.

    Hi Rebecca- I have seen the suit in person, last year in fact (when I loved it but balked at the price). The dots aren't shiny like tinfoil but they aren't matte either. There is definite shine factor on the polka dots. I didn't think it was overwhelming, but I know not everyone has the same taste. Let us know if you get it though!

    ~Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  5. A bit off topic, but I absolutely love the model's expression in that picture

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...ouch! Dieting comes from the word DIE i think... ~Lovely weekend 2U!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shoshanah- don't worry, off topic comments are always welcomed :) And I thought the picture was pretty funny too, one of the reasons I included it (well, that and because I love the bathing suit)

    Lenore- Agreed. Dieting is SO not my thing, being healthy is!

    ~Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  8. so sad women think of themselves as disgusting. they just dont understand that 13 year old girl bodies are not sexy, and that most pictures of models in, say victoriassecret.com, are actually photoshoped so every bump lump and excess hip, thigh, arm etc is smoothed out of existance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anon- So true! While I love me some Victoria's Secret, I have to keep in mind that it's literally impossible to look like the models do in the pictures. Because even the models themselves don't look that good! It's crazy what they can do with photoshop nowadays.

    ~Amanda

    ReplyDelete