Monday, April 20, 2009

Best Worst Music Ever

Over the weekend I was walking down High Street when someone drove by just blaring their music out of their open car windows, and I happened to catch a whiff of the song. And I kid you not, they were playing MMMBop. Does anyone else remember that song?

Well, I do.

When I was in elementary school, I think I played that song on repeat every.single.night. for months on end. I was officially obsessed. I thought the Hanson brothers were the hottest thing on earth in all their girly long-haired glory. Obviously, Taylor was the hottest. This was when I still had a thing for blondes with blue eyes (something I got over a looong time ago).

And it got me thinking about all the seemingly bad-but-oh-so-good music I've listened to over the years, probably around 90% of which was created in the 90's (think Spice Girls), though I do have a soft spot for cheesy 80's love ballads. Funny how things that were once cool are now terribly cheesy.

What's the best-worst music you've ever listened to?

PS: My Hanson tape totally went missing after a couple months of nonstop use and I'd always thought I lost it, but now I'm thinking maybe my dad had something to do with it. I'm on to you, Dad (though honestly, I couldn't blame you).

PS Again: I like to think my music taste has improved since then. Just so you all don't think I'm a total loser.

Hanson image via rateyourmusic.com, where it did not get very good ratings. Ha.

7 comments:

  1. OMG. I listened to the Hanson CD non-stop. I went on a long roadtrip with my fam the summer that song was popular and my walkman died so I made everyone listen to it in the car and by that next day they had bought me a new walkman. It was that bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha. I love your "PS again" hahaha. Don't worry, I don't think you're a loser!

    I was OBSESSED with the Spice Girls, and to be honest I still have some of their songs on my running playlist! Haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember days of tormenting my poor father with non-stop repeats of vengaboys, aqua and backstreet boys. I've apologized profusely ever since...

    However, if I'm out and 'barbie girl' comes on I never pass up the opportunity to start singing along and weirding people out around me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andi- My dad and I had roadtrip rules in which one person got to pick music for an hour, then it was the next person's turn. He did not like my hour :-P

    Amber- Psh, Spice Girls would make sweet running music.

    Anya- Omigosh Aqua is SUCH awesome good-bad music. I remember Barbie Girl at the Roller Skating Rink every weekend when it first came out. I still know all the words, haha.

    ~Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still don't think I've quite grown out of that 90s pop music. I loved pretty much them all (Backstreet Boys, LFO, O-Town, 2gether...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, this is going to go back a ways, but here goes: In 1978, my parents went away for the weekend on a retreat and I literally spent that entire weekend just flipping the vinyl of "Talking Heads '77" over and over on the turntable. I know every note and every word of that album. It's fantastic! (Funny, I don't think I actually own a copy. Huh.)

    Now for the bad: There was a song in about 1984? called 'Baby Judy' by the Hawaiian Pups. It is obnoxious, synth-pop with no meaning whatsoever, but it was totally addictive. I never bought it - just heard it on the radio - great for driving on the main drag at midnight!

    I like the Hanson song, by the way.

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my to the Hanson song and I have to agree with the Barbie girl is probably equally worse. :) Fun post!

    ReplyDelete