Some things I usually try:
- Yoga: while I really don't do yoga on a regular basis (I should), it really does help me focus and get rid of the "brain fuzz" that stress inevitably creates.
- Running: something about the rhythm of feet on pavement is a great release. Plus it makes me sleep like a baby that night- no stress insomnia here!
- Sleeping: on that note, I do try to sleep more when I am stressed. I haven't had much luck with that lately, but I try.
- Really Long Warm Showers: my stressball self is not very eco-friendly, I know. But very few things make me feel more relaxed than a long shower. With the bonus smelling good, no less.
- "Thinking Time": I've been told that I'm weird for it, but every now and then I just have to stop, sit down, and zone out for a few. I think of it as a time for my brain to get its act together.
- Reading: Whether it's something serious, uplifting, or just plain fluffy, 10 minutes with a book or magazine helps me unwind (lately I've been paging through my old copies of Real Simple and my favorite parts of the New Testament). Then I can start back into whatever I'm supposed to be doing.
Stresscat picture via my computer files. I honestly forget where I got it from- if you know, email me and I'll tag it appropriately. :)