Tuesday, March 17, 2009

What I'm Not Buying (Yet): Affordable Bathroom Upgrades



Maybe it's because the weather has warmed up (for now) and put me into spring cleaning mode, but I'm feeling the need to upgrade my bathroom a little. I like my bathroom to be my retreat, my own personal spa since I'm way too poor to be going to a real one. Of course, right now I'm still off spending for another month BUT that doesn't mean I can't have a little fun looking right? Consider this my post-spending hiatus shopping list (items pictured above, from top):
  • Thomas O'Brien white towels. These are probably the softest, fluffiest, thirstiest towels I've ever seen for under $10. ($9.99, from Target)
  • Isaac Mizrahi ceramic soap (or lotion) pump from Target. Probably looks chicer than the plastic Softsoap pump I currently have on my counter. Plus, I'm a sucker for anything with polka dots, and the white color won't make my counter look cluttered. ($14.99, from Target)
  • Method Shower Daily Cleaner in Ylang Ylang from drugstore.com. I actually own this right now, so listing it here might be cheating a little. But I'm in love with it enough that I will probably run out and need to buy again soon. It's naturally derived, works really well to keep my shower looking fresh, and (best of all) smells AMAZING. Like a spa, in fact, which is what I'm going for, right? All for less than $6. ($5.99, from drugstore.com. I got mine at Target for about $5, though it wasn't on the website)
And one not-so-cheap, in-my-dreams item I would love to have in my bathroom (or anywhere):
Jo Malone's Sweet Lime and Cedar Home Candle. Any spicy, woodsy smell always gets to me and this one just sounds amazing. Stacey over at TDO agrees. Unfortunately, at $65, this is one purchase that won't be happening anytime soon.

Images: towels and soap dispenser from Target.com, Method Shower Spray from drugstore.com, candle from jomalone.com

5 comments:

  1. Oh that stuff looks nice, I just invested in some new hand soap for my bathroom!

    I can't believe that candle is $65! I don't think I could ever justify spending that much on a candle!!~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber- my thoughts exactly about the candle. BUT if one happened to show up on my doorstep one day, I would not refuse :-P

    ~Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should consider making your own knock off version of that candle. If you bring the supplys, I'll supply the scent and place to make the mess! what type of woodsie smells do you like. I have patchouli, nag champa...... Better yet, we could make your own amanda scent by combining the ones you like!! You could even go so far as to make your own cuties label.

    So in essense you now have an option to get what you would like for under $10 and that will make about 5 or 6 of that size candle!! spa like bathroom for a long time!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becky, way to not tell me it was you :-P We should do it. New summer project!

    I like lots of woodsy scents. Except that the time I stuck my nose right up to the bottle of concentrated patchouli scent. That was a mistake.

    ~Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed your bathroom ideas and would like to share the following information with your readers:

    Jackson Stoneworks Granite Countertops.
    Granite counter tops are very affordable for both kitchens and bathrooms. Today, homeowners can go to any Lowe’s Home Improvement Store nationwide, order granite vanity tops for their bathrooms in an assortment of popular granite colors custom made by Jackson Stoneworks in sizes up to 100 inches in length and they will be delivered in 14-21 days.

    Granite Ranked 1st in Cleanability.
    In a recent study performed by Dr. O. Peter Snyder of the Hospitality Institute of Technology and Management (www.hi-tm.com) E. coli bacteria was used as a contaminating agent and Granite ranked 1st in Cleanability. The findings of the report show significant cleanability advantages of natural granite countertops over almost all other commonly found countertop surface materials. The study included 6 countertop surfaces which were washed and rinsed after exposure to the bacteria. They were later cleaned with a 10% solution of white household vinegar (1 part 5% vinegar, 9 parts water). Bacteria counts were taken after both cleaning methods. After washing and rinsing, the granite tops provided the greatest reduction in bacteria counts of all the countertop materials tested:
    • Granite: 36,000 to 1
    • Stainless Steel: 4,000 to 1
    • Concrete: 2,400 to 1
    • Tile: 900 to 1
    • Wood: 500 to 1
    • Plastic Laminate: 285 to 1

    Stonetech Professional – Stain resistant sealer
    Granite counter tops can provide a lifetime of beauty and pleasure when properly cared for. Learn about stone care recommendations by DuPont at their website www2.dupont.com/Stone_Tech_Professional. Stonetech Professional Bullet-proof sealer is included with all Jackson Stoneworks granite vanity tops to provide up to five years or more of protection from most stains and can be easily applied in minutes. Learn more about Jackson Stoneworks Granite Counters at www.jacksonstoneworks.com.

    Granite and Radon
    Recent media attention has focused on granite countertops and whether they can increase your indoor radon levels. While testing your home is always a good idea, a few clarifications are in order. The information provided by Air Chek, Inc. at www.Radon.com is recommended reading for anyone concerned about granite and radon. Granite is recommended by Jackson Stoneworks as the best counter top material available at Lowes.

    Help Stop Cancer with Granite
    Jackson Stoneworks, a national supplier of granite vanity tops for all Lowe's Home Improvement stores nationwide is sponsoring a matching charitable contributions campaign titled "Help Stop Cancer with Granite", to increase awareness of the American Cancer Society’s mission and raise funds for the "Relay for Life".
    • $1,000,000 Goal. The national campaign, which kicked off on January 1st of this year is planned to continue until it reaches its goal of raising $1,000,000 in donations for the American Cancer Society.
    • $10 Donation. Jackson Stoneworks has pledged a $10 matching donation for donors who purchase a Jackson Stoneworks granite vanity top at any Lowe's Home Improvement store, nationwide. Minimum $10 donation required with order of Jackson Stoneworks granite vanity top.
    • Go to www.jacksonstoneworks.com/relayforlife for additional information .

    ReplyDelete