Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Ups and Downs of Being Tall.

I stumbled across the essay Life as a Tall Girl the other day while researching something completely unrelated (don't you love when that happens?). The author, Rebecca Thomas, writes about living as a 6'4" female and dealing with awkward comments, buying clothes, and the "boys are shorter than me" issue. I can so relate.

I'm nowhere near as tall as Rebecca- I haven't measured myself in awhile, but I stand about 5 ft. 9 inches in flat shoes, while slumping. Most of the time I feel relatively normal in my height, especially if I happen to be with male friends. And when I do "notice" my height difference, I don't always mind it. Overall, I like being tall. I can reach the top shelf in stores. I have a big stride, so I can walk really quickly. I can easily command attention. But there are definitely times that the whole tall thing can be super awkward. Like when I'm meeting someone for the first time, and I am a giant looking down on them. Or when I'm trying to buy pants. Or when someone mentions that my boyfriend are about the same height and it's like "yes, I know".


I'm curious: what are your views on height? Wish you were taller/shorter? Perfectly fine with how you are? Don't think height makes a bit of difference? And what do you think about tall girl/shorter guy relationships? Feel free to share in the comments :)

2 comments:

  1. When I was little I wanted to be 6'1. Thankfully that never happened and I am quite happy with my current 5'6

    ReplyDelete
  2. i totally get you. I'm 5'11" and every girl i know, all that are shorter than me have a boyfriend. i know a time will come where one guy will realize that a tall girl is just as cool as a petite one. but for now, im keeping it chill.

    ReplyDelete